Barley grass is holy grass in hindu Religion. Vijaya Dashami is celebrated as the greatest festival of Hindu on October every year on memories of the victories of the god and goddesses over the demons for nine days. Barley grass seed are sprinkled in sand and harvested on 9th day which is taken as the blessing of Goddess Durga. This is an interesting myth about the use of Barley grass in religious aspects. Same as barley grass is equally useful for our health. Barley grass is the green leaves of barley plants. When we talk about green food and then of course we cannot miss barley grass even. Researchers have shown that green foods have marked benefits for cholesterol, blood pressure, immune system and cancer prevention. The reason behind this may be high concentration of chlorophyll on green plants. Chlorophyll is the phyto chemical which give green color to plant equivalent to haemoglobin in RBC.
Barley grass can be cultivated in our compound of house or inside house also where there is sufficient light. We can use barley grass in the form of juice or dried powder. Barley grass is one of the best healthy drinks also. Ayurveda has also described barley as healthy cereals. Even barley grass is more healthy products. Here we discuss health benefits of barley grass juice.
- Barley grass is rich source of organic sodium and calcium. This helps to aid digestion by improving production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
- Barley juice is good for preventing arthritis as it is rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- It is very high in iron, folic acid, vitamin C, Vitamin B12, pyridoxine and protein which are vital for maintainance of RBC and haemoglobin.
- It is useful for heart, healing intestinal ulcers, corrects blood sugar level and act as a general body tonic.
- Barley is very light nature so can be used to aid in weight loss.
- Barley contains 11 times calcium than cow’s milk, 6.5 times carotene and iron of spinach and seven times vitamin C than Oranges.
- Barley grass act as a free radicals/anti oxidant to reduce inflammation, pain and prevents cancer cells.
- Barley juice can be taken 1-2 teaspoonful, two times a day mixing with water or your favorite juice.
- If it is capsules or tablet form, you can take 1-2 capsules with a glass of water.
Diabetes, Heart disease, High Blood Pressure, High cholesterol level, Inflammation, Insomnia, Cancer
There is no reported side effect or contraindication for consuming barley grass. Additional, barley juice or products can be used as nutritional supplements but cannot be substitute of standard treatment of chronic diseases.